Riding For Comfort: Cycling As Therapy During Trying Times
I love Cycling. Some people ride for exercise. Some people ride to train for races.
But as I’ve learned over the past few weeks, riding can be pretty therapeutic too.
I haven’t posted much over the past 10 days and the reason is my father passed away. I’ll spare you all the details, but I’m happy to say he died peacefully and I was by his side when he went.
Needless to say, it was a tough week, especially because it was 15 years ago someone close to me died. As my father’s only son, it was my responsibility to take care of his business things, so I spent a few days last week living in a hotel in his hometown of Toronto.
It was pretty devastating to go through, but the turning point was last Thursday night when I got back to my house in Niagara Falls and hopped on my bike for the first time in four days.
It certainly wasn’t a long ride – maybe 15 or 20km on the roads around the Falls, but it was one of the best rides I’ve had. For that time I was finally able to take my mind off things and just enjoy the sunshine. I didn’t care about heart rate, cadence or my average speed. I was just out there riding because I could.
I have now ridden every day since then and it has been great. I certainly hadn’t lost my passion for riding before all this happened, but I’ve gained a whole new level of interest. I have learned that riding can do more for the mind than an hour on a couch with a shrink.
If you haven’t done so recently, give your father a call and tell him you love him, and then hop on your bike and go for a spin, just because you can.
💚💜💛 Wonder if there is a better way to organize your bike storage? Click the images to learn more!
Other Cyclists Are Also Reading
- Is GMC Denali Road Bike Good? Comprehensive And Honest Bicycle Review And Guide 2022
- WTB Moto Tec Clamp-on Grips Review
- Bicycle Knowledge For Beginners: Iron Horse Mountain Bikes Guide (2022)
👍 New Bicycles Recommended
- Two Takes on Mountain Bike Racing
- 7 Best Padded Shorts – Ergonomically Designed Ideal For Skateboarding, Cycling, Skating, Longboarding & Long Rides
- Leadout Training For Mountain Bikers
👍 Cycling Gears
- Winter Cycling Tips (2022) – Best Safety, Gear, Clothing, Bike Ideas For Commuting In Cold Weather
- Crate Works Pro XL-C Bicycle Travel Cases Review
- Is Ray’s Indoor Mtb Park Worth Visiting?
👍 Beginner Guide