Or maybe you just want to tell your scale that you shouldn’t see each other exclusively.
One of the biggest problems in our fitness culture is that success is defined by one number. Think about it — we evaluate our bodies almost entirely on weight. From miracle diets to obesity-busting reality shows, they all focus on pounds to lose.
What’s wrong with this picture? There’s no way to measure the positive impact of your body getting stronger. Where’s the tool to measure an energized day, a wonderful bike ride with your favorite person or the thrill of glorious sunset on an evening walk?
If you’re willing to take a shot at lifelong fitness, you’re going to need these other yardsticks when the scale sneers at you. And it will. About six months into my weight loss adventure, I hit a huge plateau. Even though I was running longer distances more often than I ever had in my life, my weight refused to budge.
I exercised harder. I pouted. I whined to my husband. I shook my fist at the scale and the sky. Nada.
That’s When I Ditched The Scale
I realized that everything else, workout-wise, was going along smoothly. My quads were powerful, my abs had definition. I could fit into pre-pregnancy clothes again, and I was feeling great.
So I stopped weighing myself and I chose to focus on the good stuff. That’s the heart of New Numbers Fitness.
If you’re interested in trying this new way being in shape, your teeny-tiny mission today is to take the old measurements, file them somewhere safe, and forget about them for a while.
We’ll be looking at the old numbers again after about a month of regular, manageable workouts so you can see objectively that the progress you’re feeling is real. But I do NOT want you stepping on the scale every day or week, attaching your self-worth to the readout.
Some Old Numbers To Consider Today:
- body mass index
- clothing size
- waist (use tape measure)
- quads (ditto)
💚💜💛 Wonder if there is a better way to organize your bike storage? Click the images to learn more!
Other Cyclists Are Also Reading
- Garmin Edge 705 Review – Specs, Price, Test 2022
- Affordable Trek Bicycle For Cyclist 2022: GMC Topkick Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike – Full Review
- Essential Skill Cyclists Should Know 2022: Bike Maintenance – Learn To Fix A Flat Tire Of A Bicycle
👍 New Bicycles Recommended
- Block ‘training’ For Mountain Bikers
- Best Amazon Prime Day Cycling Deals (2022) | Mountain Bike, Electric Bike, Exercise Bicycle & Accessories
- Leadout Training For Mountain Bikers
👍 Cycling Gears
- Mountain Biking In The Spanish Andalucia
- Louis Garneau Men’s Cycling Shorts Review
- Ultimate Support Bike Stand – Pro Elite For Bicycle Review (2022)
👍 Beginner Guide