Shortcut To Useful Tips
The Basics Of Whiplash Injury
One of the injuries most commonly suffered in a motorbike accident is a whiplash injury. The cause of the injury is the sudden jolting forward and backward, or sideways, of the head. The sudden movement experienced in a road traffic accident causes the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in the neck to overstretch.
The affects of whiplash are not immediate. Pain and stiffness develop in the first 24 hours following the accident, and the average recovery time for minor whiplash (acute whiplash) is 32 days. More severe sprains to the neck, or other symptoms of a severe whiplash injury (chronic whiplash), may lengthen the recovery time to months or even years.
Reasons Of Whiplash Injury
On the road, whiplash often occurs when a bike is hit from behind. Whiplash can sometimes occur from an impact to the side, but this is less common. The effects of a whiplash injury can be reduced by bracing for the impact, but on a bicycle or a motorbike, this can be difficult.
Whiplash injury can often occur even in accidents at low speeds. At higher speeds, whiplash can sometimes occur after a violent impact to the head after a fall.
Symptoms Of Whiplash Injury
The primary symptom of whiplash injury is a strong pain and stiffness in the neck. The muscles in the neck may swell and be tender to touch. Whiplash symptoms can radiate from the neck and affect the shoulders and arms. In some cases whiplash pain can also spread to the lower back, but this is rare.
Secondary symptoms of acute whiplash include a short period of headaches, dizziness, blurred vision, and problems with swallowing.
In cases of chronic whiplash, more serious symptoms can occur. These symptoms include an extended period of persistent headaches, dizziness, fatigue, or problems with vision or hearing. Emotional and behavioral symptoms can include anxiety, depression, or sleep disturbance. A condition called fibromyalgia, which causes pain in many joints across the body, can develop following a chronic whiplash injury. Fibromyalgia can sometimes form a long-term disability, but these cases are extremely rare.
Treatment And Recovery For Whiplash Injury
Most cases of acute whiplash will get better with only basic treatment. Staying active and continuing your regular lifestyle can ease muscle stiffness and aid recovery. Active treatments such as regular neck exercises or physiotherapy are also recommended. If you require physiotherapy, our solicitors can usually arrange treatment at no cost to you.
For cases of chronic whiplash, a treatment plan should be arranged with your GP. This may include active treatments such as exercises and physiotherapy, but may also include prescribed medication.
Claiming For Whiplash Treatment
If you have suffered a whiplash injury as a result of a motorbike or cycling accident, it is vital that you seek advice from specialist solicitors with experience of working with these injuries. Whether you have suffered an acute or chronic whiplash injury, you should receive the right amount of compensation for your injuries.
If you are unfortunate enough to not make a quick recovery, specialist solicitors will provide advice and support as you work on your claim. As your health is the absolute priority following an accident, specialist solicitors will attempt to recover the costs of medical treatment if liability has been admitted by the person or organization you are claiming against.
If you are considering making a claim for compensation, speak to one of the specialist solicitors specialize in cycling and motorcycle accident. Through an initial consultation you will receive advice on:
- How to claim compensation for your enquiry.
- Claiming for physiotherapy or other treatment. This can usually be arranged easily.
- Recovering your financial losses as a result from your accident. This includes loss of earnings from being unable to work, insurance policy excess, travelling expenses, and any other income you have lost as a direct result of your accident.
- Claiming for repair and replacement costs for your bicycle or motorcycle.
💚💜💛 Wonder if there is a better way to organize your bike storage? Click the images to learn more!
Other Cyclists Are Also Reading
- 4 Reasons Why Stationary Bike Stand/Indoor Bike Trainer Is Better For Weight Lose
- Top 6 Santa Cruz Mountain Bikes Recommended in 2022 | Trek Bicycle Introduced For Cyclists
- Why Is Two-wheeled Transportation Important To Tackle Climate Change?
👍 New Bicycles Recommended
- Block ‘training’ For Mountain Bikers
- 7 Best Padded Shorts – Ergonomically Designed Ideal For Skateboarding, Cycling, Skating, Longboarding & Long Rides
- Best Amazon Prime Day Cycling Deals (2022) | Mountain Bike, Electric Bike, Exercise Bicycle & Accessories
👍 Cycling Gears
- Ultimate Support Bike Stand – Pro Elite For Bicycle Review (2022)
- Why You Need To Buy A Mongoose Fat Tire Bike?
- Mace Gear Ignition Short Review
👍 Beginner Guide